[squid-users] Timeouts when using squid as an FTP proxy with FileZilla?

From: Jeremy Webber <jeremyw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:30:42 +1000

I've been trying to use our Squid server to proxy FTP traffic.

The client is FileZilla. It is configured to use the squid server as
an HTTP 1.1 proxy.

I can connect to a remote site without difficulty (yes, I have to
enable the CONNECT method for this). The remote site has an idle
timeout of 15 minutes.

Everything works fine until I try to send a file to the remote site.
When sending a file (FTP STOR command) the transfer is cut at exactly
15 minutes. FileZilla reports that it detected a timeout and has
disconnected from the server.

If I bypass the Squid server then I can send the file (which takes
about 18 minutes to transmit) without difficulty.

There doesn't appear to be a problem fetching files, only sending them.

Can anyone shed any light as to possible reasons? I've RTFM and
checked this mailing list archive but have drawn a blank so far. I
can't see anything in our squid.conf which would cause a timeout when
tunnelling FTP.

Squid version is squid-2.5.STABLE5-42.47 (as distributed with SLES 9).

Thanks,
    Jeremy

--
Jeremy Webber                                   Senior Systems Engineer
                                                    Animal Logic Pty Ltd