Re: [squid-users] Stability problems with diskd in Squid 2.6

From: Anders Nordby <anders@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 23:11:53 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 09:58:58PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>>>I am using diskd, with 5 cache dirs on each server (each dir containing
>>>quite a lot of directories). If I turn off diskd and use plain ufs cache
>>>dirs, the instabilitity problem goes away, but then the servers become
>>>very slow to respond. :-( Which I/we can not live with. As 2.6 is
>>>supposed to be faster than 2.5 because of kqueue, downgrading doesn't
>>>seem like a good option either.
> I "fixed" that by running squid under "runit"

Squid doesn't die (and stay dead) non me, it just restarts itself. But
when it happens, I lose the cache in RAM, which is the main problem.
Also, the bug occurs more often when under high load, making cache hit
ratio fluctuate a lot.

So, runit wouldn't help me. I need to protect my backend servers from
load as much as possible. Squid needs to run constantly and stable for
day after day, keeping a constant high cache hit ratio (which it does
fine as long as it is stable).

Anyhow, I've done preparations to produce backtraces, and will get back
on this once I have more to report.

Cheers,

--
Anders.