Re: [squid-users] What else can I try? ip_wccp compilation / load issue

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 23:06:12 +0200

mån 2006-09-04 klockan 13:52 +0000 skrev Richard Stern:
> looking to do transparent caching using Squid and Cisco routers. Getting
> hung up on setting up the wccp module. Not planning on using gre, although
> would consider doing that way if ip wccp module does not work out.

What's wrong with using ip_gre?

ip_wccp is a dirty hack, and should only be used if ip_gre doesn't
work..

> I have read numerous posts / blogs etc on the subject, mostly by (Henrik
> Nordstrom) but I cannot seem to get the ip_wccp module to work!

> Environment:
> Kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 (redhat fedora core 5)
> ip_wccp-1.7 from http://www.squid-cache.org/WCCP-support/Linux/

use ip_gre, it works just fine, fully supported by all involved etc..

> Steps taken:
> Downloaded and rebuilt kernel from source

The above kernel is the Fedora kernel, not your custom build. But ip_gre
in the Fedora kernel works just fine, no need to look elsewhere.

> Method A:
> unpacked wccp tar
> Used the Makefile that came with ip_wccp-1.7
>
> cp ip_wccp.ko /lib/modules/2.6.8/kernel/net/ipv4 [substitute my path]
>
> edit modules dep file (vi /lib/modules/2.6.8/modules.dep) and add the
> following line: /lib/modules/2.6.8/kernel/net/ipv4/ip_wccp.ko:

You could have done just "make install".

but I have not tried ip_wccp on any recent kernel. Kind of pointless now
that ip_gre from the standard kenel has all that is needed.

See the FAQ for details on how to set up the WCCP/GRE tunnel using
ip_gre.