Re: [squid-users] Timeouts when using squid as an FTP proxy with FileZilla?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 23:04:46 +0200

tis 2006-09-05 klockan 14:25 +1000 skrev Jeremy Webber:

> It appears that squid times out the FTP STOR after the period given by
> read_timeout in the squid.conf file. It happens that the default value
> for this is the same as my test external FTP server which is what
> mislead me originally.

Of course it does. There is no traffic on the FTP control channel during
this, and as the client is abusing CONNECT for things it is not at all
intended for things will break.

The bug is the client using CONNECT for things it's not intended to be
used for. It won't work and cannot be made to work. Squid has no clue
that the two connections is related, and it should not have any such
knowledge either.

CONNECT is intended for establishing https tunnels via HTTP proxies,
nothing else. We have gone as far as we are going to go in supporting
abuse of this method.

> Hoping one of the squid developers can turn this into an effective bug
> report.

I am happy to file a FileZilla bugreport for you, if you think that will
help.

If you really want to support this abuse of the CONNECT method then just
set read_timeout ridiculously high, like a week or so.. And you may want
to increase client_lifetime as well..