[squid-users] HEAD requests for non existent files on ftp

From: Guilherme Salgado <salgado@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:33:24 -0300

Hi there,

Today I was checking if it'd be possible to use squid to proxy FTP HEAD
requests for me, and although I found that this is handled in src/ftp.c
and using libwww-perl's GET to issue a HEAD request on an existent file
gave me a 200 OK response, I noticed that I'll always get a 200 OK
response, even when the file in question doesn't exist:

(existing file)
    GET -m HEAD -u -p http://proxy:3128/ ftp://ftp.easynet.be/ubuntu-iso/6.06/ubuntu-6.06.1-alternate-amd64.iso
    HEAD ftp://ftp.easynet.be/ubuntu-iso/6.06/foo
    200 OK

(non-existing file)
    GET -m HEAD -u -p http://proxy:3128/ ftp://ftp.easynet.be/ubuntu-iso/6.06/foo
    HEAD ftp://ftp.easynet.be/ubuntu-iso/6.06/foo
    200 OK

So, is this the intended behaviour? If so, would it be possible to
workaround it and have a 404 response in the latter case?

If not, should I file a bug about it? How hard would it be to fix?

Cheers,

--
Guilherme Luis R. Salgado