Re: [squid-users] Understanding Referesh Pattern

From: Max Clark <max.clark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:41:26 -0700

I found a good online utility that has a visual example
http://web.forret.com/tools/squid.asp of the impact of the
refresh_pattern. For reload-into-ims and ignore-reload settings that
manipulate a reload header, how would a browser send this header to
the server?

I currently have a refresh_pattern of this:

refresh_pattern . 1440 20% 2880 override-expire override-lastmod

Which I would expect to be extremely agressive of it's cache of
objects on our backend servers. However I have noticed that if we
change a page that has already been cached in Squid, Squid will send
the request to the backend server and serve the new page.

Why would we be seeing something like this?

TIA,
Max

# reload-into-ims changes client no-cache or ``reload''
# to If-Modified-Since requests. Doing this VIOLATES the
# HTTP standard. Enabling this feature could make you
# liable for problems which it causes.
#
# ignore-reload ignores a client no-cache or ``reload''
# header. Doing this VIOLATES the HTTP standard. Enabling

--
 Max Clark
 http://www.clarksys.com