Re: [squid-users] Re: FreeBSD 6.x server with Squid/diskd

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:02:45 +0800

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006, Thomas-Martin Seck wrote:
> * Adrian Chadd (adrian@creative.net.au):
>
> > And I've been testing squid-2.6 + aufs on FreeBSD 6.1 and it seems quite
> > stable and performing (ie, not blocking on IO like it would do under
> > FreeBSD 4.x.)
>
> Could you tell which thread library is best suited for Squid/aufs on
> FreeBSD 5 and up? I'd lean towards libthr (1:1 threading, designed for
> applications that require system scope threads, such as MySQL). I would
> then include instructions in the FreeBSD port on how to configure the
> system to make Squid use this library instead of the default thread
> implementation, which is libpthread.

To be honest: i just compiled my test squid with ./configure ;
make ; make install. I didn't look into it in depth too much.
Are you saying the default for 6.1 is pthreads and these still
play badly with blocking IO calls? I'll have to check!

(I'm just getting back into the swing of FreeBSD y'see. I've been
living in a Linux-centric city for too long.)

Adrian