Re: [squid-users] Re: FreeBSD 6.x server with Squid/diskd

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:49:57 +0800

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> tor 2006-09-07 klockan 20:02 +0800 skrev Adrian Chadd:
>
> > To be honest: i just compiled my test squid with ./configure ;
> > make ; make install. I didn't look into it in depth too much.
> > Are you saying the default for 6.1 is pthreads and these still
> > play badly with blocking IO calls? I'll have to check!
>
> Easy to test.. just compare ufs and aufs performance. if aufs is worse
> than ufs under load then the pthreads implementation is not useable..

Hm. libpthreads and ufs seem to have the same CPU use profile. Using
libthr does drop the CPU quite a bit but I don't have polygraph setup
to see how much further I can push it.

I just added this to /etc/libmap.conf :

> cat /etc/libmap.conf
squid
     libpthread.so.2 libthr.so.2
     libpthread.so libthr.so

I'll retool my linux box to handle polygraph better and try it out
over the weekend.

Is anyone here running Squid 2.5 or squid-2.6 + FreeBSD-6.x ?

Adrian