[squid-users] French WEB site and SQUID

From: Carmelo A. Zizza <czizza@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:33:52 -0400

To ALL;

I have several clients that use SQUID as their only proxy server, all of
them are using SQUID-2.5.STABLE10 either with RH ES 4.0, RH ES 3.0, RH 7.2
or SLES 9.0 versions of LINUX and they are all experiencing some weird
intermittent delays when the Workstations (XP w/IE 6.0) try to open
http://www.latribune.fr web site. ALL OTHER SITES ARE FINE.

The problem originated from our NYC FX Trading floor using RH ES 4.0 and the
default SQUID RPM. I checked some of my other clients and they said it
worked well at their sites, so I uninstalled the RPM and compiled and
installed SQUID-2.5.STABLE10 just what my other clients were all using. Then
I reconfigured SQUID with a good config from one of the other clients and
all looked good.

Unbeknownst, to me the problem only occurs between 7AM and 12PM NYC time,
which is between 1PM and 6PM France time. So, I might have not fixed the
problem totally even thought the WEB site now loads OK if you wait long
enough during the 7~12 NYC time.

So, you are now asking what can you do; I would like some people, not all
the SQUID users, but maybe the US users if not the NYC users to try hitting
the site and let me know if you see any delays with the page fully loading
during 7AM~12PM time frame, if everyone is having the problem then it is a
PIPE or UTILIZATION problem and I am off the hook. If this problem is
related to my clients then I will post a generic CONFIG to see if we can
figure this one out.

Regards,
Carmelo A. Zizza