Re: [squid-users] squid / DNS name servers

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 17:17:24 +0800

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006, Odhiambo WASHINGTON wrote:

> | If so, is there some way to remove this requirement
> | that SQUID needs to be able to connect to DNS servers.
> | My setup is that all the internal hosts do their DNS
> | name resolution, and the system running SQUID will use
> | whatever resolved IP address the originating clients
> | used.
>
> Your question is not clear. Neither is your situation!
> How does the originating client pass the IP address to
> the machine running Squid, and to Squid itself?

Squid already "gets" the IP address said client was connecting to.
It inquires the NAT/interception layer to find out where the client
connection was originally trying to talk to.

It uses this to satisfy HTTP/0.9 and HTTP/1.0 requests without
Host: headers. I don't know how happy Squid would be without a
DNS server though; but it sounds like a useful feature to have
if it doesn't already do it (Henrik would know better than I.)

If Squid doesn't do it then please file a feature request
in Bugzilla and we'll get to it after we've released Squid-3.
Yes, we're going to release Squid-3.0. And then 3.1. Honest :)

Adrian