Re: [squid-users] Compile-time options

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:52:20 +0200

lör 2006-09-09 klockan 21:30 -0400 skrev Errol Neal:

> Is there a definitive guide that I can be pointed to that explains each
> of the compile-time options for the 2.6 and 3.0 releases of squid?

./configure --help

lists them all, with a bit of explanation.

The FAQ has some further explanations of many directives.

The Squid Book also explains some. So does the user guide.

General rule of thumb is that you shouldn't use any configure options
you don't know that you need. The defaults is selected pretty carefully
in most cases.

My recommended options:

   --prefix= if you want to install Squid in another location
than /usr/local/squid

   --enable-storeio="ufs aufs null" on most platforms to allow choice of
more performing disk I/O.

   --enable-auth to enable all authentication schemes to have them
available the day you want to use them.

   --enable-delay-pools to enable the delay pools shaping capability.

   --enable-snmp to enable monitoring & statistics collection using SNMP

   --with-large-files if you are on a 32-bit platform to enable support
for large log files bigger than 2GB. Warning: Do not use this option on
64-bit platforms.

   And if you plan on running Squid as a transparenly intercepting proxy
then you also need the correct interception option depending on your OS
platform. See FAQ chapter on interception.