Re: [squid-users] System Config

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:16:25 +0200

Zahir schrieb:

> I have 60 clients attached to the squid server.
>
> squid server is celeron 2.4 ghz and 512 ram having 200K dedicated
> bandwidth
>
> do u think the server configuration is ok for 60 PCs

 From the FAQ :

"How big of a system do I need to run Squid?

There are no hard-and-fast rules. The most important resource for Squid
is physical memory, so put as much in your Squid box as you can. Your
processor does not need to be ultra-fast. We recommend buying whatever
is economical at the time.

Your disk system will be the major bottleneck, so fast disks are
important for high-volume caches. SCSI disks generally perform better
than ATA, if you can afford them. Serial ATA (SATA) performs somewhere
between the two. Your system disk, and logfile disk can probably be IDE
without losing any cache performance.

The ratio of memory-to-disk can be important. We recommend that you have
at least 32 MB of RAM for each GB of disk space that you plan to use for
caching."

For low-end installations this is the only parameter you really have to
care about. CPU is not quite as impportant as RAM (and the link speed).
What do you mean by "200 k" ?? 200 kbits/sec ? That would not be very
much for 60 users if they are all "in". Hint : don't make the cache too
large, the only thing that happens is that you need more RAM; with a
small installation it never fills up anyway because objects expire
faster than new different objects are requested.

Yours,
Jakob Curdes