Re: [squid-users] DNS client options

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:05:52 +0200

mån 2006-09-18 klockan 14:18 -0300 skrev Alejandro:

> 1) Internal DNS client feature only uses UDP protocol and external uses
> UDPand TCP ???

The internal also uses TCP when needed in the current versions.

> 2) Is it necessary to use TCP for normal DNS queries ??? Because I know
> that ALL normal queries run over UDP....except the zone transfers
> operations.

TCP is needed for any large DNS response in some special cases.. (i.e.
when using djb dnscached, or a few other DNS resolvers).

> 3) For a LAN with 80/100 users...is it convenient to use internal or
> external DNS client mode ???

Normally the default internal one is preferable. In some corner cases it
may be desireable to use the older external dns client but today thats
mainly if you need other name resolution than DNS or /etc/hosts.