Re: [squid-users] Squid wont start on slackware

From: Marcello Romani <mromani@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:28:20 +0200

Santosh Rani ha scritto:
> Thanks for your inputs , Sirs.
>
> I have added user 'squid' and group 'squid'. Changed the ownership of
>
> /usr/local/squid
>
> to user 'squid' and group 'squid'
>
> I have changed cache_effective_user as:
>
> cache_effective_user squid
>
> cache_effective_group squid
>
> I have also created 'store.log' and 'access.log' files in
>
> '/usr/local/squid/var/logs'
>
> and ownership is set to user 'squid' and group 'squid'
>
> 'Squid' has all the permissions (read, write, execute) on directory
>
> '/usr/local/squid'
>
> Still it doesn not start nor it gives any error.
>
> /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -k parse does not report any error.
>
> Regards
>
> On 04/10/06, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
>> ons 2006-10-04 klockan 11:52 +0530 skrev Santosh Rani:
>>
>> > I have set the ownership on 'cache' directory' for root since other
>> > folder i.e. in the 'var' directory was also owned by root with the
>> > permission 733
>>
>> The Squid cache and log directories needs to be owned (or at least
>> writable) by your cache_effective_user.
>>
>> Regards
>> Henrik

You should look into cache.log and/or try to launch squid in "no-daemon"
mode:

squid -N -d 1

Quoting from "man squid":

  -N No daemon mode.
  -d level Write debugging to stderr also.

If you add also:

  -X Force full debugging.

you'll get infos about each line of the config file squid parsed, and
more. This can help to see exactly what's going wrong during squid startup.

HTH

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT