Re: [squid-users] Problems with Squid and Citrix

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:14:26 +0200

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 13:58, Young, Mike wrote:
> I need some assistance with a strange Citrix problem we're having after
> migrating to a new Squid proxy.
>
> First a little background. We run a shop where any Internet
> connectivity must go through a proxy before reaching its destination.
> For DNS, we run split-DNS, where we cannot resolve Internet names from
> the inside. We have one internal squid proxy, which has been in place
> for years, and another new squid, sitting dual-homed on the Internet
> border. The old border proxy was "delegate". Any Internet destination
> request must first go through the internal squid, which forwards the
> request to the border squid (who then does name resolution, external
> connectivity, etc).
>
> Recently, we switched from the delegate border proxy to the squid border
> proxy, and most everything is working fine. However, we're having
> problems with Citrix connections.
>
> We can connect to the Citrix server, and log in, but when we try to
> start an application we see the Citrix MetaFrame application start, then
> this error:
>
> "Cannot connect to the Citrix MetaFrame server.
> The Citrix SSL Relay name could not be resolved (SSL error 40)"
>
> We can work around that error by putting entries in our
> windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file, but still can't connect.
> Instead, we get another error:
>
> "Cannot connect to the Citrix MetaFrame server.
> There is no Citrix SSL server configured on the specified address."

I understand how your Squids are set up. But I don't understand what Citrix
has to do with it. For me Citrix is a software that allows Windows servers
to offer terminal sessions for remote users. Where does HTTP/Squid kick
in? Is Citrix SSL the "SSL VPN" stuff from Citrix? Do you use Squid as a
reverse proxy and force external users through it? Apologies, but I'm
confused here.

 Christoph