[squid-users] Squid, Squidguard and Transparent Proxying

From: Scott Ackerman <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:44:35 -0600

I am the IT Administrator for a local charter school. I was hired after
an external support company was determined to no longer meet our needs.
The short story is that I am trying to set up an adequate web-filtering
solution for our school. I have already set up Squid and have it
configured to run as a transparent proxy, as it is my understanding that
this is the only way I can force the use of our proxy server (the little
urchins discovered last year how to change proxy settings in their
browser to get to open proxies and view anything they want). But I am
not sure how well this will integrate with Squidguard as I also
understand that in order for me to allow teachers more access, some form
of authentication with squid needs to happen which won't work with a
transparent proxy. Any suggestions on this. I am currently running squid
2.5 on a Fedora Core 5 box with Shorewall doing the redirect through
netfilter.

--
Scott B. Ackerman
1212 Baker Street