RE: [squid-users] How to deny unmatched/unspecified domains insquid 2.6 under reverse proxy mode?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:07:32 +0200

tis 2006-10-17 klockan 23:18 -0400 skrev Nguyen, Khanh, INFOT:

> I took a trace into the code to see why I did not get an error page,
> the problem appears to be the leftover parent that does not have
> domain association, 192.168.2.2. The logic in the code returns a match
> for peer that does not have domain association (in peerAllowedToUse
> function of neighbors.c) And that is how the parent selection results
> a match.

Yes, as I said all peers is by default candidates for use unless limited
by cache_peer_access/domain. So if you have a peer without any
restrictions then it's a candidate for any request, including those
where you have other peers with defined restrictions.

> I could enforce the squid.conf to remove parents that are not in-use,
> or change the logic of peer selection to always return no match for
> domain that does not parent (initilizing the do_ping to zero instead
> of zero) Perhaps there is a reason for the current logic or it is
> simply an undesired side-effect of something else?

Changing the code is easy. Just remove the following two lines from
peerAllowedToUse

    if (p->peer_domain == NULL && p->access == NULL)
        return do_ping;

or change the initialization of do_ping to 0 as you have already found.

But having this by default isn't in line with the general reasoning of
the directives so it won't be made in the standard distribution.