RE: [squid-users] epoll on squid 2.6.STABLE4-20061009 under linux

From: Nguyen, Khanh, INFOT <nguyenkt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:16:39 -0400

Henrik,

It is very informative.

Thanks,
Khanh

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Nordstrom [mailto:henrik@henriknordstrom.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:19 PM
To: Nguyen, Khanh, INFOT
Cc: squid-users@squid-cache.org
Subject: Re: [squid-users] epoll on squid 2.6.STABLE4-20061009 under
linux

ons 2006-10-18 klockan 14:33 -0400 skrev Nguyen, Khanh, INFOT:

> I am quite fuzzle about how epoll get enabled and how can i disable it
> or enable it at will. Maybe someone have some insight about epoll
> could lend a hand.

If your libc and kernel supports epoll then it gets enabled by default.

If you want to insist on that epoll should be used then you can use the
--enable-epoll configure option. If no epoll support is found with this
option then configure will complain and abort with some instructions on
how to add epoll support to your system, assuming the kernel supports
epoll but your libc doesn't (any 2.6 kernel does).

> 1. Does my squid actually use epoll when it says 'Using epoll for IO
loop'?

Yes.

> 3. How can I disable epoll? and reenable it later on. I want to see
> how much gain I get with epoll so I need some performance data when
> epoll is disable.

To enable/disable epoll you need to build a new binary without epoll
support, using the --disable-epoll configure argument.