Re: [squid-users] squid with failover

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:50:34 -0800

sara gonzalez wrote:
>> To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
>> Subject: Re: [squid-users] squid with failover
>> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:47:12 -0800
>>
>> sara gonzalez wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> i've 2 squid servers running in as a convencional proxy. i use only
>>> one for requests, and i want to use the other to built a
>>> failover,(when the first go down, the second go up. While the first
>>> is running, the second isn't). How configure it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sara
>>>
>> This depends entirely on what OS you are using, and is not a Squid
>> function per-se.
>>
>> Chris
> From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@gci.net>
>
> Ok, i'm using SuSe ES, v.10, and... i dn't undestand what's a Squid
> function per-se???
>
> Sara
>
> __

What I meant was, Squid doesn't have any fail over capabilities
natively. If one of your servers dies, and the other takes over, it
won't hand off transport streams or anything like that. Current
connections will be dropped.

Look into "high availability linux" or "linux virtual servers" for the
fail over component. Ultra Monkey L7
(http://ultramonkey-l7.sourceforge.jp/index_en.html) might even be able
to handle the seamless hand off of transport streams...

Chris