[squid-users] More domains over one Squid, low hit rate

From: STH. Daniel Londero <daniel.londero@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:57:13 +0200

I'm having some problems with Squid as http accelerator for some domains
    on a cluster of two web servers. Each server has a cache_dir of
100Mb. I can see good hit rate for images but slow hit rate for .php
pages. I set Cache-Control header (max-age=300,public) for all pages I
want to cache for 5 minutes but only a few are hit correctly. To test
I've moved a domain on a separate server (same configuration and only
one site) and here hit rate for pages of the site is very high. So I
know that configuration to set cache is right.

I thought that cache_dir was too small for too much domains and pages
were swapped out before expire because Squid need space to cache other
pages. Than I've expanded cache_dir to 500Mb on a server and wait some
hours to see if the story changes but I can't see any improvement for
hit rate (and cache_dir is filled for 390Mb).

What can I do now? Any idea?

Thanks a lot
Daniel