Re: [squid-users] store.log and RELEASE/SWAPOUT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:11:55 +0100

lör 2006-11-04 klockan 22:59 +0800 skrev Ow Mun Heng:

> What does it take for content to get into the cache? My understanding is
> that a RELEASE means that the object isn't cached in the disk. (but,
> does it mean that it's being cached in memory instead??)

RELEASE means that Squid forgets about an object, either due to the
response not being cacheable, it's being replaced with a newer copy, or
Squid is recycling cache space to make room for new objects.

> I'm seeing a lot of RELEASE in my store.log and I'm wondering why and
> how I can reduce it into SWAPOUT.

There is very many reasons to why an object is not cacheable. The first
thing is to inspect the status of the object with the cacheability
engine <url:http://www.mnot.net/cacheability/>. This gives valuable
insight into why an object is or is not cacheable.