[squid-users] Re: squid with failover

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust <mykleb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 01:21:45 +0100

On 2006-10-17, sara gonzalez <sara_glez_cuervo@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> i've 2 squid servers running in as a convencional proxy. i use only one for
> requests, and i want to use the other to built a failover,(when the first go
> down, the second go up. While the first is running, the second isn't). How
> configure it?

I've been thinking about this earlier, and I think squid
should be a very easy application for both active/passive
and active/active clustering.

The way I would do it is to run both your hosts with squid
active at all times, probably also with them being siblings
so that they can cooperate with their caches.

Have hearthbeat from linux-ha.org manage the ip-addresses
so that when all is OK, you have:

        host1 = 10.0.0.1
        host2 = 10.0.0.2

and if host1 dies, host2 takes over it's ip-address:

        host1 = dead
        host2 = 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2

I would probably also do round-robin-dns over these
two addresses.

  -jf