Re: [squid-users] Recommendations for a fast cache with Squid+WCCP2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:05:19 +0100

mån 2006-11-06 klockan 21:44 +0300 skrev Odhiambo WASHINGTON:

> 1. What is the difference between using transparent interception, for
> example via a IPNAT, and using WCCP?

Only how the packets arrive at the proxy server. THe ipnat stuff is
still there, what WCCP does is to route the traffic to the proxy
servers(s) without the need to reconfigure routers when adding/removing
proxy servers.

> I am familiar with transparent proxy and I know it doesn't play well with https.
> How about a WCCP implementation?

Same same.

> 2. Would WCCP method be the recommended path? Why? (this Q seems
> redundant, yes?)

For interception mode WCCP is recommended.

> 3. What hardware recommendations would you give for such a large
> network?? CPU, RAM, Disks?
> Would a RAID array do? Or would caches spread over several single
> disks do better?

Depends on the load, and budget.

> 4. Would COSS be a good choice, or should I stick to aufs for this one?

COSS is quite good, but still a bit experimental.