Re: [squid-users] AIM/YIM through Squid?

From: K Kadow <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:19:34 -0700

As Odhiambo Washington suggests, sounds like a firewall problem.

On 11/8/06, John Oliver <joliver@john-oliver.net> wrote:
> I'm sure this is one of the top ten questions, but there's no FAQ entry
> and Google returns a lot of answers that don't quite address this, so...
>
> Ever since I began using transparent redirection to force all TCP
> traffic on port 80 to go to the Squid server (running on a different
> host than the firewall), I've had problems with AIM and YIM, even if I
> set them to use 5190 and 5050 respectively.
>
> What rules need to be added to let AIM and YIM work with Squid?

Yahoo! Instant Messenger should "just work" via Squid, though it
sometimes will tend to open and close a huge number of TCP sessions,
causing performance issues for Squid.

By default, first thing AOL Instant Messenger does is try a connection
on port 5190, so if you permit this port and the many different AOL
destinations, then it should not need to fall back to trying port 80,
21, etc.

If your Squid is listening for non-transparent non-redirected
proxy-aware requests (e.g. on TCP/3128), then you can configure AIM to
always use CONNECT tunneling via your Squid proxy. I posted sample
configuration to explicitly permit AIM to squid-users a few months
back, should be in the archives.

Kevin