Re: [squid-users] Squid as image server

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:26:02 +0800

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006, Reinis Rozitis wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm playing with 2.6 squid as an image cache/accelerator and maybe
> somebody can give some notes about such issues.
>
> Is there a way (prolly somebody has allready asked before) or a patch
> to make Squid put some objects only in memory?
> In case of lots (few hundred thousands) small (2-3kb) image files
> keeping them as copy on hdd isnt very efficient (well okay you can let
> also the OS cache the files in buffer still I have bad experience with
> the IO and swaping that way)?

Its a good idea. Actually, what should probably be done is a little thought
about cache hit patterns and see if there's a "better" way to write objects
to the disk rather than "all of them".

I started chatting with a couple of people about this a couple of months
ago but other studies got in the way. I'll add this to the big list of
things to do after my exams.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Adrian