Re: [squid-users] Tproxy -Just How useful is it?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:59:40 +0800

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > You will still have the same TCP/IP protocol issues if not more.
> > The only problem it might solve is access those sites not happy when a
> > user changes IP when going from http to https.
>
> That's the only good thing about tproxy support? That seems a bit
> little.(to me anyway)

It allows you to transparently intercept and cache web traffic
from clients who have real IP addresses. Its very useful for ISPs
who wish to deploy Squid (or any other kind of interception caching)
but don't want to break the "End to end" model a lot of applications
today expect.

I've got plans to put an example or two of it in use up on the Squid
wiki after I finish this set of exams. I'll be deploying it for an
ISP in precisely this manner.

Its not so useful for office setups behind a NAT as the clients have
no existing end-to-end public addressing in place.

Adrian