Re: [squid-users] squid performance on 32bit Vs 64 bit

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:49:35 +0100

On 13.11.06 22:34, zulkarnain wrote:
> I have recently purchased a new machine:
>
> Dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz (64 bit) Processor
> 8 GB memory
> 146 GB 15K RPM SCSI Harddisk
>
> This machine will be use as squid proxy server. I plan
> on installing Fedora Core 6 as operating system. I
> would like to have some sugestion on which OS version
> (32 or 64 bit) squid should be installed concerning
> the performance and stability.

I guess to benefit of 8GB RAM you should use 64bit system, I'm not sure
though. I've seen rumours that intel cpus slow down when sweitching to 64bit
mode, contrary to AMDs which speed up in such case...

You can use 8GB of RAM in 32-bit mode too, but you need to have kernel with
PAE support. And, squid will be limited to 1 to 3 GB of RAM (depends on the
kernel setup)