Re: [squid-users] squid performance on 32bit Vs 64 bit

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:26:12 +0800

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006, zulkarnain wrote:

> What do you mean by squid will be limited to 1 to 3 GB
> of RAM? Does it cache_mem? and If the kernel has
> compiled with PAE support, do I able to use memory
> larger then 4GB?

32-bit CPUs in question have a maximum virtual address space of 4gb.
Modern UNIXes split the virtual memory up into part for the kernel
and part for the current process. The split is, if I remember right,
either 3gb kernel/1gb process, or 2gb kernel/2gb process, and 1gb
kernel/3gb process.

PAE allows more than 4gb of RAM to be used in a machine with some
trickery (which, for fun, smells like similar trickery in PCs from
20 years ago.) It, unfortunately, limits the amount of memory
available to each process to whatever the above split allows.
It just means you can have a whole bunch of processes each
accessing 3gb of RAM.

Adrian