[squid-users] HA Squid forward proxy in parent-parent relationship

From: John Moylan <John.Moylan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:28:25 -0000

Hi,

I have two Squid boxes behind an LVS (Linux Virtual Server) server. The
two boxes are forward proxies for two Apache webservers on the same
private network.

       WEB

      ------
      |LVS |
      ------
     / \
    / \
SQUID1 SQUID2
   | |
Apache1 Apache2
   \ /
    \ /
     ---------
     |Content|
     ---------

Squid1 accelerates Apache1
Squid2 accelerates Apache2

Both squid boxes are set up as parents of each other , but with
"prefer_direct on".

My thinking is that if one of the back-end Apache's goes down then the
Squid that was accelerating that box will go to it's parent (accessing
the alternate Apache.)

I am hoping that by using "prefer_direct on" I will be able to avoid
forward loops. I am presuming that HTTP errors (such as 404's) from the
Web servers won't cause such looping.

Am I right?

TIA,
John
copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please note that emails to, from and within RTÉ may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act 1997 and may be liable to disclosure.