Re: [squid-users] authenticate request every page problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:34:01 +0100

lör 2006-11-18 klockan 01:43 -0700 skrev otrcomm:

> i am running squid.2.4.STABLE3 and can not figure out how to set it up
> for accelerator mode and authentication and a redirector.

First of all I would recommend you to upgrade to 2.6.STABLE5. There is
absolutely no good reasons to run Squid-2.4 today, especially not if you
are allowed to rebuild Squid from source.

> the problem is that squid sends me to the authentication program for
> every page that i go to even though i tell the browser (both IE
> 6 and Firefox 1.5.0.7 ) to remember the password. once i have been to
> a page, it seems to remember the username for the session and
> i can come back to that page, but every new page triggers the
> authentication request from squid.

Sounds to me like your setup is a transparently intercepting Internet
proxy, not accelerator mode where you accelerate your own web servers.
You can't use authentication in transparent interception as the browser
must be aware it's using a proxy to do proxy authentication.

What you have done now by enabling the combination of transparent
interception + authentication is that you have stole the web server
authentication channel, which is both unique to each web server and
meant for the web server not the proxy.

> if upgrading away from squid.2.4.STABLE3 will solve it, then that i will. i did try to use squid.3.0-PRE3-CVS, but got errors about
> not knowing about the httpd_accel... switches, if i am not mistaken.

Current version is 2.6.STABLE5.

Squid-3.0 is the current development version and not yet meant for
production use.

The httpd_accel_* options has all been replaced by other options since
2.6. See the release notes. And the hidden define you mentioned earlier
is no longer needed as Squid now knows the difference between
accelerator mode and transparent interception.