Re: [squid-users] Authentication in Transparent mode

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:28:22 +0100

>is it possible to get Squid 2.6 to authenticate in transparent mode?
>
>I set it up to run in transparent mode and defined an auth_param basic program, but Squid seemed to ignore the authe_param entry. is
>this correct behavior?

The browser never asks the proxy because it cannot know there is a proxy
at work. Thus authentication in transparent mode cannot work. Either you
have to configure you browsers to user the proxy (and prevent direct
internet access using a firewall) or you cannot use proxy auth.

This is a FAQ topic :

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ.html#toc17.16

Jakob Curdes