[squid-users] A question about FTP via Squid

From: Steven Hu <linkinorton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:52:08 +0800

Hi all,

I'm currently running a Squid proxy server in my company, everything
seems to work without problem but FTP service.

I found that some FTP clients like FlashFXP, CoreFTP didn't work at
all, then I found that when these FTP clients connect to a FTP site,
they use the following method:

 CONNECT 68.100.223.12:21456

It's denied by the proxy because I have "http_access deny CONNECT
numeric_IPs all" in squid.conf, as you know it's for blocking
BitTorrent and Skype.

Now there're many internal users complaining about this, since most of
them use FlashFXP and CoreFTP and for now I only found that CuteFTP
professional works well because it uses GET method instead of CONNECT.

So my question is, do you have the same problem? I mean, if your users
use FlashFXP or CoreFTP, can they connect to FTP sites via squid
without any problem? And if so, how do you configure the squid.conf
properly?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,
Steven