Re: [squid-users] Disable PMTU

From: Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:33:46 +0100

> Ok, i explain the problem a little bit bad, sorry for my english ;)
>
> Take a look of this(squid.conf.default of Squid3):
>
> "In many setups of transparently intercepting proxies Path-MTU
> discovery can not work on traffic towards the clients. This is
> the case when the intercepting device does not fully track
> connections and fails to forward ICMP must fragment messages
> to the cache server. If you have such setup and experience that
> certain clients sporadically hang or never complete requests set
> disable-pmtu-discovery option to 'transparent'."
>
> I want to disable the Path MTU of my server, how can i force to disable
> it?
> Maybe: echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc ???

  Well in this case , indicative to the value name it would be :

                echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc

  (1 not 0) , whether it will help you can only be detected by subsequent
testing.

Note however that this also then is valid for all connections
from the SQUID box to the outside world (also web servers). This may
hamper network performance.

Or more fundamental : transparent proxy-ing violates , the idea of a layered
network model , and or that a client only has a unique TCP connection
to a server in all circumstances.

Hence several resulting in several possible
caveats, one of which we are discussing here...

M.