Re: [squid-users] Downloads not going through parent proxy, going DIRECT

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:24:28 +0100

On 27.11.06 13:58, Geoff Varney wrote:
> Thanks Matus, that did it! You guys on this list sure are a great
> resource and so often have simple solutions to problems such as this one.
>
> As the default setting had this setting in it, should I expect any other
> issues now that I have disabled it? I'm wondering if there is any reason
> why I'd need to do this, or if going through DansGuardian and then to the
> next Squid server (which is again at the default setting for
> "hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?") should hopefully be the same thing as
> having this enabled without a parent? If DG doesn't mess with anything
> other than denying based on the content, etc., this should be OK then? I
> guess we'll see how it goes.

if you want filter all content via parent proxy, you should force all data
to go through it. however the parent proxy may go direct in such cases.

However, I prefer things like ICAP for content filtering, not another proxy
server (the same way I prefer milter/amavis plugins over extra SMTP daemon
when filtering spam/virus content)

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.