Re: [squid-users] LDAP authentication?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 03:04:53 +0100

lör 2006-12-02 klockan 01:36 -0500 skrev Jaime:

> I have a perfectly functioning squid-2.5/DansGuardian/FreeBSD based
> transparent proxy running at the public school district that I work
> in. What I'd like to do is know who is accessing each URL. Users
> come from different IPs all the time. Therefore, I think that this
> requires authentication, which in turn requires a switch from
> transparent to manual proxying. What I can't figure out is how to
> set up this authentication with the LDAP server that I'm already
> running.

There is a man page for squid_ldap_auth trying to explain most uses..

  man -M /usr/local/squid/man squid_ldap_auth

after the squid_ldap_auth helper has been installed (shipped with Squid
in helpers/basic/LDAP/)

If you need additional help then we need to know a little about your
LDAP directory.

  * Which user attribute carries the information you want to use as
login?

  * Based DN of your LDAP tree

  * If anonymous searches is allowed.

Please ignore pam_auth. It's just a last resort thing when there is no
other helpers available. You should only go down that path if you want
to use the LDAP for system authentication as well.