Re: [squid-users] How to run squid with root capability?

From: zulkarnain <sizulku@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:57:50 -0800 (PST)

--- Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
wrote:
> You need to start Squid as root, and quite likely
> you must not use the
> chroot directive..
>
> Under these conditions it should keep the needed
> capabilities from the
> root account.

would you please be more detail? I don't know how to
run squid as root accept by changing
cache_effective_user and cache_effective_group to
"root". But with this setting, squid will crash after
started.

> You did not mention what kernel you are running, but
> I assume you have
> compiled your own kernel based on the standard
> kernel + the cttproxy
> patch.

My system is;
Fedora core 6 64bit
Kernel-2.6.18.5
cttproxy-2.6.18-2.0.5
iptables-1.3.6

both kernel and iptables is working, there are tproxy
modules on the kernel when doing lsmod and iptables
with tproxy also able to redirect the traffic.

Thanks!

regards,
Zul

Yahoo! Music Unlimited