RE: [squid-users] Clean the cache

From: Thomas Raef <traef06@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:12:21 -0600

First of all, you must stop Squid of course. You can use the command:

        % squid -k shutdown

The fastest way to restart with an entirely clean cache is to over write
the swap.state files for each cache_dir in your config file. Note, you
can not just remove the swap.state file, or truncate it to zero size.
Instead, you should put just one byte of garbage there. For example:

        % echo "" > /cache1/swap.state

Repeat that for every cache_dir, then restart Squid. Be sure to leave
the swap.state file with the same owner and permissions that it had
before!

Another way, which takes longer, is to have squid recreate all the
cache_dir directories. But first you must move the existing directories
out of the way. For example, you can try this:

        % cd /cache1
        % mkdir JUNK
        % mv ?? swap.state* JUNK
        % rm -rf JUNK &

Repeat this for your other cache_dir's, then tell Squid to create new
directories:

        % squid -z