Re[2]: [squid-users] 2.6 documentation

From: Torsten Kurbad <torsten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:30:30 +0100

On Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 05:46 Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

Hi Henrik,

> From Squid-2.6:

> # options are:
> # transparent Support for transparent proxies
> # vhost Accelerator using Host directive
> # vport Accelerator with IP virtual host support
> # vport= As above, but uses specified port number
> # rather than the http_port number.
> # defaultsite= Main web site name for accelerators.

I also had to set up an accelerator a short while ago and found it very
hard to deal with that very narrow piece of documentation.
In fact, I have a Zope server running on port 9966, and since our users
are used to that port, I set up a squid, listening on hostname:9966 and
bound Zope to localhost:9966.
I tried several combinations of vhost, vport, vport= and
corresponding cache_peer-lines, but squid insisted to catch things from
localhost:80, although that port was never mentioned in the setup.
Finally I gave up trying alternatives and switched the whole thing to
port 80, which worked...

From that arose two questions:
1) How is it possible, to accelerate "something" that is not running on
port 80?
2) What is a "Host directive" (cf. vhost) - this term is never mentioned
again in the squid.conf.default?

Best regards
Torsten