Re: [squid-users] NTLM auth keeps asking for password. (solved)

From: Craig Van Tassle <cvantassle@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:28:58 -0600

Chris Robertson wrote:
> Craig Van Tassle wrote:
>> *snip*
>> By "on line" do you mean the FAQ
>> (http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ProxyAuthentication#head-1d6e24e071a1a5e65f112d9a96cdf1320684a8f2)?
>>
>> If so, did you test the helper as the cache_effective_user? When
>> prompted for authentication, were you prompted for the Windows domain,
>> or did you include it?
>> */snip*
>>
>> I had tried with out the domain and and with the domain.
>> After the first attempt it included the domain.
>>
>> *snip*
>>

> That leaves a couple of questions unanswered...
>
> Did you follow the steps in the FAQ?
> Did you test the helper as the cache_effective_user?

I did follow the steps in the FAQ.
I tried it with cache_effective_user set and non set.
I also added the proper user and changed the permission of the
winbindd_privileged directory.
Tried everything else, under the sun. Then it turned out I didn't have
Samba working properly and also the acl auth proxy_auth REQUIRED was
misspelled in the config file. That got me to look REALLY close to at
the config file and fixed it.

> That's a bummer. Does that mean you missed Adrian's response to your
> first request
> (http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200612/0475.html)?
It turns out that I found your first reply via Google, I also found the
Ubuntu FAQ before as well.
I think I need to go and shoot my email host now, considering this is
one of who knows how many emails that are missing?
Thanks for the fix!