Re: [squid-users] Windows Media Player 11 and authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:48:01 +0100

fre 2007-01-05 klockan 11:22 +0100 skrev apmailist@free.fr:

> 2nd request DENIED as expected because of lack of authentication : there should
> be a Proxy-Authorization along with the Keep-Alive. Correct ? (see the
> clientBuildReplyHeader: Error, don't keep-alive)

Correct. Or actually Keep-Alive is irrelevant to the question. There
should be a Proxy-Authorization header carrying the user credentials
with the request when using Basic authentication.

> In short , what is the bug ?
> - Bad type of authentication :
> Is WMP doing NTLM, Digest, Basic ? How do I know ? With the popups ?

It's doing Basic, at least on the allowed ones..

Maybe it works better if you use NTLM. IIRC we used mostly NTLM when I
tested last time... but I also have a memory of WMP maybe not
remembering the NTLM auth and popping up an auth request before access
to the media was allowed..

> - WMP forgets to authenticate on certain requests -those with MSWMExt=.asf dor
> example.

Seemns to be the case from your logs.