[squid-users] Web server acceleration with squid and clustering with high availability

From: Forse <forsekun@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:58:21 +0200

Hello fellow squid users

I only recently discovered squid accelerator features and I
implemented it on my web server about 2-3 month ago. My web site
consists of dynamic content (php) and serves some media files (radio
shows in mp3 format and video trailers).

My web server (Apache2) is bind to 127.0.0.1:80 while my squid
accelerator (version 2.6.5) is bind to external IP and port 80.
Everything works just fine, but recently my web site is maxing out
server's 20mbit line and I purchased VPS server (virtual private
server) running on 100mbit line so I would like to install squid there
and make it serve only media content.
So to make this shorter this is what I am trying to accomplish:

o Setup squid 1 (one that is running on same machine as web server) so
it uses squid2 (one on VPS) as sibling and forwards all media requests
to it.
o Squid2 in turn will fetch media content when asked from squid1 and
then serve it from own cache
o Squid1 monitors squid2 and if it goes down will serve media requests
itself until squid2 comes back online.

In future I want to purchase more VPS servers and create a little
cluster where squid1 acts as main node and uses round robin to kind of
load balance server load.
Things to note:

o My web server serves more than one website (configured to run in
virtual host mode).
o Both servers (web server and VPS) are running Debian unstable and
identical versions of squid (2.6.5).
o I know there will probably be added latency due to squid forwarding
requests, but main reason for me to do this is to serve media files
from 100Mbit pipe.
o My squid server currently uses 2 coss cache_dir and one diskd cache_dir.
o VPS has 512MB ram while web server has about 4Gig. Both servers run
on powerful hardware (dual Xeons with SCSI disks).

I have attached my main squid configuration with this email. I would
appreciate any feedback or suggestions on this subject and would like
to thank you for your time.

P.S. I searched for answer to this everywhere on the web, but so
far…nothing so I really hope this email will at least get my started
or pointed in right direction.