[squid-users] caching youtube content

From: Carsey, Robert <rcarsey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:30:46 -0500

I'm the sysadmin at a University.  Our students looove youtube!  I wanted to cache youtube content - some of these files are 5-50MB .. so the savings would be great.   However I have run into a problem that would affect the efficiency of my cache...

Apparently youtube uses multiple servers (with different hostnames) to serve the same content.  For instance,

http://lax-v87.lax.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=kEysFttcIkE is a 8MB flash video.
And
http://lax-v88.lax.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=kEysFttcIkE is the same video.

I would like to tell squid that it should consider hosts of lax-v[0-9]*.lax.youtube.com to all have the same content.

If they only had one or two servers, I wouldn't care so much - but they have presumably hundreds.  If their site tells my clients to go to a randomly-assigned host to get the content,  I'd rarely get any cache hits.

I'm still reading through the documentation and FAQs.. but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.