[squid-users] Lots of objects and ram, 32bit or 64bits?

From: Mike Leong <leongmzlist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:56:53 -0800

Hi,

Our accelerator pool is storing alot of objects and is continuing to
grow. We originally have 4GB and had to upgrade to 6GB to prevent
swapping. I think it'll be a matter of time before we have to
upgrade the RAM again.

At the moment, we're running debian 64, but w/ 32bit
squid. According to top, the squid process has a resident size of 3.4G

Should I upgrade to 64bit squid? From the archive, squid 64bit uses
more RAM for the same amount of objects, so in a sense, upgrading the
RAM won't give more storage capacity.

Will squid 32bit hit a memory limit, and thus limit the number of
objects it can track? If so, what is the memory limit?

thx,
mike