[squid-users] redirecting to squid on a local machine

From: saspan <saspan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:47:16 +0100

Hi there,

I have serious trouble configuring a LTSP-server, wanting it to
work as a transparent proxy using squid in order to secure
web-access for our children.

The problem is to redirect TCP-requests to the machine itself.

More detailed: I want the tcp-requests from users logged into
the LTSP-machine being redirected to the machines' proxy.
As mentioned above the proxy is running on the same system.

A simple

iptables -t -nat -A OUTPUT -m owner ! --owner-uid squid -p tcp
--dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-destination 3128

doesn't seem to work, cause a browser would not be expecting a
reply from a transparent proxy when waiting for replies to its requests.

What am I doing wrong here? Do the packets have to masked
locally before redirecting them to the proxy?

Any help is appreciated as I have been guessing on this problem
for three days.

Regards,
Sascha