[squid-users] Re: squid - non-documented feature

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:03:38 +0100

fre 2007-01-19 klockan 19:54 +0100 skrev Marc Guardiola:
> sorry, I noticed this with squid-2.6.STABLE6 and squid-2.6.STABLE7 . In
> short, 'transparent' is not mentiond as an option of https_port.

Correct. Supported but not documented as it doesn't make much sense to
use it on an https_port.

Due to implementation https_port actually supports all of the options
from http_port, plus the ssl options. Transparent interception of SSL is
a bit limited at best as the client verifies the name and validity of
the certificate.

> At the moment we have the following problem. We're using squid as a
> frontproxy, in front of a heavy, slow java application. Works perfect. Now,
> a page that gets requested a lot, takes about 30 seconds to generate by the
> heavy java application. This page is being requested about 10 times per
> second. When this page is in the squid cache, it gets served just fine. But
> when the cache expires, squid does not request this page 1 time, but it
> forwards all the requests to the java app until the page is in the cache
> again.

See collapsed_forwarding.