Re: [squid-users] acl problem with mime types

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:41:49 -0900

Andrew Pounce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a website which uses squid as an accelerator that serves content
> as a series of numbers such as /12345/12345/12345/12345 which can be
> images, html or pretty much anything else.
>
> Some of the html varies depending on status of the user session ( are
> they authenticated etc )

If the user is authenticated, the server is likely sending out a
"Cache-Control: private" header.

> I want to :-
>
> Cache ALL images.
> not cache ALL html.
>
> now I my understanding of things I can check the mime type with acl's
> and cache allow/cache deny :-
>
> acl imagesmime rep_mime_type image/jpeg
> acl imagesmime1 rep_mime_type -i image/jpeg
> cache allow imagesmime
> cache allow imagesmime1
> cache deny all
>
> I keep seeing TCP_MISS's for images dispite this, the mime type
> image/jpeg ( according to the access.log ) so I don't understand whats
> going on - am I missing something obvious?

Hard to say. Use something like Firefox's Live HTTP Headers extension
(http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/) to get a better idea what is going
on. Using an external header viewer is not going to help for
authenticated content.

> This is with Version 2.6.STABLE1 and Version 2.6.STABLE2
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Andrew

Chris