Re: [squid-users] Squid Under High Load

From: Manoj Rajkarnikar <manoj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:30:43 +0545 (NPT)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Michel Santos wrote:

> average 40% byte hit rate or peak?

we don't have much traffic (less than 1% of our bandwidth capacity) at
night so not much hit at night. the daily average hit would be
around 30%. during daytime when there is more users, it stays at 40%.

> what cache_object_max_size do you permit?

16MB. we analyzed the access logs for size distribution and the hitrate
and number of request distribution shows only very few requests are made
for objects of size greater than 20MB and every big object requested will
take up a large cache space where there could have been more smaller
objects.

> I use 150-250Gb for cache_dirs and still feel it too small, but I permit
> 700MB max so a complete iso image can get cached

objects of that size is rarely downloaded here and is not worth caching at
all. may not be true in your situation.

use scalar squid log analyzer and analyze your access logs daily and
you can find out what max object size is better suited for you. I rotate
the access log daily and have wrote a simple shell script that'll analyze
the access log daily and generate a webpage. can send it if you like. it
uses scalar.awk (downloadable).

--
Manoj Rajkarnikar
Systems Department