Re: [squid-users] Squid Under High Load

From: Manoj Rajkarnikar <manoj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:26:58 +0545 (NPT)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Michel Santos wrote:

> depends how you look at it
> disk space is cheap and serving one 650MB object is a fat win even if it
> happens only twice a month

yes the disk space is cheap but it is not alone the fact of disk space.
more disk you use, more RAM you'll need and many more files and disk
space you'll have to sort to look for a file. also to tell you that the
byte hit alone is not our goal, its also how fast you can deliver the
cached objects to your clients. from here, reaching sites located in
other countries is a satellite hop away, 600ms +. so its more about giving
better response time than saving little bandwidth. as you said it all
depends upon the situation you're in.

> nice and thanks for you kind offer, but I turn logging completly off,
> even if the performance boost is not very impressive I do not need to take
> care of log files and I am really not so sure if this does not hurt users
> privacy, but main reason I am lazy and like performance ;)

no problem. :)

--
Manoj Rajkarnikar
Systems Department