Re: [squid-users] Can not shutdown squid

From: Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck-lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:36:46 +0100

* Henrik Nordstrom (henrik@henriknordstrom.net):

> fre 2007-02-02 klockan 11:32 +0530 skrev Santosh Rani:
> > Processor : Intel P4 3.06
> > Intel motherboard
> > SATA Hard Disk
> >
> > SQUID VERSION: squid 2.6.3
> > My trouble is that I can not stop squid.
> >
> > I passed the following command,
> >
> > # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/squid stop
> >
> > The shutdown_life time option is;
> >
> > shutdown_lifetime 5 seconds
> >
> > Result of this command is:
> >
> > Stopping squid.
> > squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 15 to process 1014: (3) No such process
>
> Either Squid is not running, or your pid file has been corrupted

I assume that the OP is using FreeBSD (from the looks of it). If so,
there must be a problem with the pid information, because the script
first calls 'squid -k shutdown' and then waits for the 'squid' processes
to disappear. Since the shutdown call is not delivered properly, the
script waits forever because Squid keeps running.

> If Squid is running then use ps / top to fin the pid of Squid and kill
> it manually.
>
> kill pid
>
> If it isn't running then something is wrong in your rc script.

Does 'squid -k shutdown' exit != 0 when it fails like in the above case?
If yes, I could bail out early and avoid the infinite waiting loop.