[squid-users] Squid automatic startup issues

From: <JSiergiej@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:39:25 -0500

I am running squid 2.6 on a RedHat Enterprise box in my DMZ. If point my
public addresses to secondary non-routable IP addresses on the NIC of the
Linux box via ACL's on my firewall. From there, requests are filtered into
my internal web servers in regards to the non-routable IP the request is
coming from.

I have having an issue where my squid reverse proxy will only function
correctly if I open a terminal window and start the squid process with
/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -NCd1. My webpages will work correctly from
this point on and I notice it starts with only one process id when I do it
this way.

However, if I use the actual squid service in the System Tools instead of
using the command line, I see that it always starts with 2 process ids and
my webpages will not work. I get page not found and no traffic shows up in
my access.log file.

I need this service to start automatically and function because the Linux
box is rebooted after hours once every week. It rebooted last night and I
came in this morning to find that the websites were down so I ran the squid
startup command manually and everything returned to normal. I tried using
the squid service itself, which started normally even on reboot, but the
websites would not work until I shut off the squid service and ran the
startup command normally.

If there are any ideas as to how I can resolve this issue and have squid
startup automatically, I would appreciate the help. I am not an expert at
Linux so please feel free to explain things in a more detailed manner if
need be.

Thanks in advance,

Jack Siergiej, MCSA

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER THE APPLICABLE LAW.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or telephone, and delete the original message immediately.